Friday, September 23, 2011

Legs of the Journey-Our Summer of Homelessness

On June 17 we left our beautiful and beloved home on Erskine Drive in sunny San Clemente, California. I had hoped that we would leave in the midst of gray skies, torrential downpours and muddy waters…that the home that we had loved for so long would be overcome with grief…but it was not so. The sky was blue and blotted with puffy white clouds. The ocean was a crystal dream and the waves, perfect for teenage delight, seemed to wave lazy goodbyes as we hit the long road to Virginia.
I will describe our trip in “legs,” cause it seems the trip taker’s thing to do! The first leg of our journey took us to Herriman, Utah…a 12 hour drive (kids=stops)…to visit with Ben’s fabulous sister Annette and her wonderful and fun family! Please see my post, “Timpanogas Caves!”
The next leg of our journey took us to visit Ben’s parents in Clearfield, Utah…another hour! Ben’s parents are so dear and we always enjoy our time with them. While we were there we also got to hang out with Ben’s sister Sara and her super fun family and Ben’s sister Stacie and her crazy new hubby! We also got to spend time with my Grandma Stones and my aunts Melanie and Emy. Please see my posts “Where the Deer and the Buffalo Play,” “Hoogle Zoo” and “Utah Fun!”
The third leg of our journey took us to Logan, Utah (one more hour) to visit my Grandma Baker and my aunt Brenda. We also picked up a third driver while we were there…MY MOM!! Please see my post, “Story Time.”
The next leg of our journey (11 hour drive) took us across the wide and open expanses of Wyoming and left us in Longmont, Colorado…my home town! My parents moved into a new house recently and it was so fun to take up all of their new space and relax. We had adventures and then some!! Please see my posts "Camping in Leadville," “Woodbury’s Lake,” “Colorado Craziness,” "More Colorado Craziness" and “Homeless.”
Ben left Colorado on the 8th of July on his way to VA and work. Our housing situation was still unsure so the kids and I stayed in Colorado until the end of August, and the end of our welcome stay at my parents' house. Once again, my Mom brought her super driving skills to the table and together we loaded up the van and, with four disgruntled kids, we said goodbye to Colorado and headed onto our next leg of our journey.
Three days and an immense amount of mileage later we arrived in VA and into the loving arms of our honey/Daddy. It took another week and a half before we were in our new place but finally we are HOME!
It’s been a great adventure!! I can honestly say that it has been a huge blessing in all of our lives…this job change, this location change, this school change, this family togetherness change…change is good!!

1 comment:

Life Travels with the Parental Units said...

Oh, I wish I could comment on all of them - but just let me say that I cherish the time we had with you this summer 0 you, your honey, and all of the munchkins. Love ya.