Friday, September 23, 2011

Timpanogas Caves

While we were in Utah I thought it would be fun to take the kids on a little hike up to Timpanogos Cave National Monument, high in the Wasatch Mountains. The mountains were beautiful and the kids were excited to be outside and enjoy the fresh mountain air.

Little did I understand that the hike was 1-1/2 miles, with a 1,160 feet elevation gain to the cave entrance. Now some of you "higher elevation folk" might scoff at my up and coming complaint but please let me preface by saying that the caves were at 6,370 ft. which is 6300 feet higher than we were accustomed. The first 1/2 mile of the hike was great...the rest was GRUELING. Even Michael, the runner, felt a heaviness in his chest. Only Ben, the great, hadn't shown signs of suffering when we finally reached the mouth of the caves. Fortunately, the majesty and wonder of the caves and the ease of going down hill to get back to the car made up for the harrowing trek going up! Everyone really enjoyed the caves! I, for one, enjoyed them so much that I don't think I will need to ever go see them again!!









No comments: