Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Hot College Boyfriend

Ben is back in school.  He is taking classes online to finish up his degree.  He is motivated and excited and I couldn't be prouder. 

I will admit, however, that I do harbor the tiniest feelings of jealousy.  I look forward to the time when I can be taking online classes and finishing up my degree.  I know it's his turn right now but still, in my most immature moments I feel like crossing my arms, stomping a foot and humphing "it's not fair," in a corner.

He is aware of my tantrumy attitude.  I am not sure how.  I am very discreet when it comes to my bad attitudes.  I suppose I may have expressed my feelings verbally a few times, and maybe stuck my tongue out at him while he read his new class syllabus to me...twice.   He just smiles at me and reminds me that now that I am actually married to a college guy I can stop checking them out at the mall.  What? 

Anyway, he has graciously asked me to review and critique his homework assignments.  I see his underhanded tricks, trying to make me feel involved and important.  I know he doesn't really need someone to check his spelling, that is what "spell check" is for, but I begrudgingly, secretly ecstatically, agreed to be his editor!! 

Last week Ben finished his first homework assignment for his American Literature class; a 1000 word personal introduction and his interpretation of two Emily Dickinson poems, two Walt Whitman poems and an essay by Mark Twain.   He wrote, erased, re-wrote and erased...trying to remind his brain how to be a student.  The assignment took him two hours.  Finally, and with a huge sigh of satisfaction and relief he called me in from preparing dinner to edit his paper.  I got comfortable behind the lap top and read his assignment.  I was great.  He didn't need me at all.  I frowned and read it again, searching for a grammatical error or dangling participle.  Nothing.   I looked up at him, waiting patiently for my critique, and said curtly, "looks good."  I closed the electronic page and shut the laptop, returning to my menial task of dinner-making.

About 30 seconds later Ben called me back into the front room.  His voice sounded strange, higher maybe...slightly strangled.  When I saw his pale face and wide eyes I knew something was wrong. 

"Hey, um...do you know where my assignment is?"
"What do you mean?  I didn't move it or anything."
"I can't find it...did you maybe...close the page?"

I instantly felt sick.  I had Xed out of the page he was working on.  I remembered doing it.  I felt a tiny groan escape my lips.  I sat beside him and scoured every corner of that laptop.  His assignment was gone...floating around in the expanses of the Internet. I had, unintentionally foiled two hours of hard work.   My face flushed and tears stung the corners of my eyes.  It really was unintentional...despite my ugly attitude. 

"I am so sorry.  It wasn't on purpose, I swear," I pleaded.  He took the laptop back from me and without skipping a beat smiled.

"It's OK.  I was gonna redo most of it anyway...on a Word document."

With that, my hot college boyfriend turned back to his assignment.  I was forgiven and it was behind us.  He is amazing.

I have changed my attitude towards Ben and his studies.  I want to be supportive in every way possible.  He is my hero and I am his biggest fan!! 

No comments: