Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Devil Made Me Do It!

Spencer came home from preschool on Monday with a "blue slip." Blue is bad. I asked him what went wrong? His response:
"I was just SO WILD! I don't know what happened. I was just WILD all over the place. I mean WILD, Mom...really WILD." He didn't seem very repentant...mostly just bewildered.
As a punishment I sent him to his room explaining that WILD children with no self control need time to chill out in a boring, quiet place. He was not happy.

About 10 minutes later I walked upstairs to check on him. As I approached his room the quiet led me to believe that he had fallen asleep on his bed. After all, being WILD, as we all know, can be exhausting. I peeked into his room, anticipating the sweet innocence of a babe in slumber and was shocked to find the room empty. I checked the bathroom...empty. I checked my room...empty. I pushed open the door to Jasen's room just as my WILD five year old went over the window sill and out onto the roof.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?" I bellowed.
He turned around nonchalantly and raised his hands, palms up and shrugged. "It was my only choice Mom. My only choice."
It was then that I noticed his backpack, overflowing with books, toys and a flashlight.
"Are you running away?"
"No!"
"Well, where do you think you are going?"
He paused and rolled his eyes at my stupidity. "To the roof, Mom."

He spent a lot of time in his room that day...with all the windows locked. I am not sure what possessed him to be so WILD in class or feel as if his only choice was to hang out on the roof but maybe it was the same thing that possessed me to tell him that if he ever went on the roof again I would call the police and report a burglar.

3 comments:

Janette said...

maybe when you sent him to his room, he heard it as you sending him to the roof... the words do sound just a bit alike! :)

Bonnie said...

I think that the more I read your blog, the more I really like Spencer. He's so smart, and cute and resourceful.

Stacie said...

Haha!! Only Spencer would think to do crazy stuff like skateboard to church and hang out on the roof!