Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Small and Simple Things

Over the last few weeks I have had the enormous pleasure of having a bird's nest in a bird house on my front porch. The kids and I have found such joy in listening the the sounds of baby birds. We sit on the front porch and smile at the frenzied "tweets" that fill the yard as 'Mother' arrives with a juicy bug. The baby bird sounds are nearly constant, and while to some it may seem grating or terribly annoying, I find it very maternally satisfying.

This morning, there was a bit of commotion on the front porch. One of "our" babies had ventured out of the bird house and tumbled from his perch. He wasn't strong enough to fly back and so he hopped about on the ground and low bushes. We were all delighted and watched him happily from a distance...until he made his way to the street. I intervened. He jumped aboard a stick I offered and I gave him a lift up to his front stoop. He sat there for a moment and then hopped back into the safety of the nest. All is right again with the world...and I was a bit of a hero to my kids. Isn't motherhood grand!
We loving refer to him now as Ferris, as he had a "Day Off" and was very bold and a little silly.





2 comments:

erica said...

just one more reason I like you. we have about 500 birds that like to sing to us at 4:30 every morning. that taxes my sanity. I'm glad you have better nerves than me.

B and B said...

Ferris? You guys are SO cool